I was thinking while dozing a bit on the drive home that the PNE and Vegas have many things in common.
1. Both have Deep Fried Oreos. You have to visit Fremont street in Las Vegas to get your choice of Deep Fried Oreos, Twinkies and Mars Bars. Here at the PNE they also have Deep Fried Pop Tarts and Deep Fried Kool-Aid!
2. The PNE has a Beer Garden. The Paris Hotel and Casino has a Beer Garden. Yes, really.
3. You can ride rollercoasters while visiting both places. Only Las Vegas has a rollercoaster that rolls through a casino.
4. I have played skee ball at both the PNE and Las Vegas. Most casinos in LV have arcades for kids and kids at heart.
5. Today I saw baby chicks, bunnies, ducks, cows and lambs the fair. The pictures above are from our day today at the PNE. But there are many animals on the Vegas strip. The Flamingo Hotel and Casino has flamingos, koi fish and ducks. The Mirage has white lions, white tigers, dolphins, panthers and leopards. We even saw a crocodile at the Shark Reef at Mandalay Bay during one visit to Las Vegas. I think there isn’t much of a contest. Way cooler animals in Las Vegas.
6. Both places have adults squealing like little children. At the PNE it’s while on the Hellivator or the Corkscrew. In Las Vegas it’s at the craps table or a lucky slot machine.
Either place you end up spending way more money then you intended on.
There are some things that might be different about a fair up north. While we do have the corn dogs, mini-donuts, kettle corn and candy apples, we also have Curry-2-Go, deep-fried rice balls, and many other Asian food offerings. We are a real cultural mix in Vancouver, Canada.
I ended up eating a $9 pulled pork sandwich and many other delicious offerings even though we brought lots of food from home.
Hopefully my husband and I will get a chance to check out the fair by ourselves before it’s over. We bought a few tickets for the PNE prize home lottery today. I wouldn’t mind checking out the prize home and a few other things without the kids.
Do you have a local fair? What is your favourite thing to eat there?
I shouldn’t be near Vegas and have money in my pocket.
- How to avoid paper towels in Las Vegas (stephaniegetsridofhercrap.wordpress.com)
- Prince Harry, The New Bad Boy? (socyberty.com)
- PNE sneak peek: Playhouses, princesses and those beloved mini-doughnuts (vancouversun.com)