//
you're reading...
Uncategorized

Ammonia Fumes

Ball-and-stick model of the ammonia molecule, ...

A few years I realized that Windex makes me sneeze. I think I have built up an intolerance to ammonia. I avoid it at all cost. Luckily they take pity on me at work and buy less-toxic cleaners. Today I had a bad reaction to some ammonia fumes. Men went on the roof at work to clean the air-conditioner. We were not given any notice. All the fumes from the cleaners they used poured into the shop. Almost immediately one co-worker had to leave because of her allergies to ammonia. I felt very ill but stayed out of a stupid sense of duty. I should have gone to the doctor or to bed. It was amazing how a little ammonia can ruin a persons day. I haven’t felt that nauseous since I was pregnant. Yes, it reminded me of the dreaded morning sickness. Yuck! Most of the effects have worn away. My lungs still feel strange. While two of us had very bad reactions, most employees only noticed stinging eyes, lips or nothing. I guess I’m just a sensitive girl.

Have you built up any allergies or sensitivities over the years?

~Stephanie

“Never work just for money or for power. They won’t save your soul or help you sleep at night.” – Marian Wright Edelman

Advertisements

About stephanieough

Wife, mom, concerned citizen of the earth. Striving towards intentional living rather than blindly following. Former Education Specialist for a corporation, I have now taken a step back to spend time with my family and work closer to home. Hoping to reduce our waste through refusing, reducing and reusing so that we will not have to recycle as much. Also, I love to explore zero-waste fast food and take pictures of my sucesses. I'm a fan of British comedies like Red Dwarf and Black Adder, Kevin Smith and his movies, Asian food, documentaries, biographies and going to Las Vegas on vacation. If someone told me I could only listen to the Beatles for the rest of my life I would die happy.

Discussion

2 thoughts on “Ammonia Fumes

  1. After the birth of my second son I could no longer tolerate bleach. It burns my eyes even if I am in another room, and causes breathing trouble. At one point, can’t remember what may have triggered it, but anything aerosol causes breathing trouble as well. It was the triggering of theses sensitivities which led me to green up my home cleaning supplies, and begin to learn about the items that are put in our food and other products.

    Posted by livingsimplyfree | July 9, 2012, 10:29 am

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Stephanie’s Twitter

Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.

Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

%d bloggers like this: