If you can reduce waste while vacationing on the Las Vegas strip then you can do it anywhere. One of the areas that I need to work on for future trips is the amount of straws that are thrown away. Whether you are sitting in a buffet or at a slot machine you are more than likely drinking out of a real glass. Unfortunately it probably has 1-2 straws in it and possibly a swivel stick.This trip was definately a swivel stick trip. I don’t remember ever being given so many swivel sticks. Between the two of us we unwittingly recieved 5-6 stir sticks. Two of the offenders were Planet Hollywood and the Mirage.
I am one click away from buying some Strawsome straws ttp://www.strawesome.com/.
Why Reusable Straws? (stolen from the FAQ page on Strawsome website)
Here are ten reasons (in no particular order) why reusable glass drinking straws are the way to go:
- Concern about plastic usage is at an all-time high. Glass drinking straws are one way to limit your exposure to toxins from plastics because they are toxin-free! No BPAs, phthalates, etc.
- If you use straws a lot, think about how many plastic straws you throw in to a landfill every year. Including the instances you dine out at restaurants this number can be astronomical! Being green has never been so easy. Replacing your disposable plastic straws with a glass straw is one little thing you can do to help save our planet.
- The feeling of glass on your lips will help you lose weight on your hips! Not only is it fun to drink from a glass straw but studies have shown that drinking from something more substantial than plastic may help you lose weight.
- Strive to consume more water? Make it fun with a glass straw. It really works!
- Want to help your kids eat more fruits & vegetables? Make it fun with a green smoothie and a glass straw.
- According to speech therapists, glass straws help kids with oral development making it easier for them to learn to articulate and pronounce words.
- Jaw wired shut or have a hard time eating without a straw? A glass straw might do the trick!
- Has your dentist mentioned teeth staining? Use a glass straw to have your beverages bypass your teeth when you drink coffee, tea, red wine, or any acidic beverage and then see what your dentist says at your next checkup.
- If you are a smoothie lover, guess what? Yep! Glass straws make smoothie consumption a whole ‘notha experience. Perfect for the green smoothie, protein shake, or any thick beverage!
- Want a gift for the person who has everything? Buy them a personalized glass straw from Strawesome. Drinking straws are great gifts for special occasions like bridal showers, baby showers, weddings, or corporate gifts
At home I do not bother using straws. We have a few my mom brought over for my oldest son so that he will drink his milk. I’m really thinking that it makes sense to buy a few glass straws for my son and for while at restaurants or other places that straws are used more. If I would have had my own glass straw in LV how many straws would I have thought to refuse? It was at least a dozen a day on a quick guess. Every drink had a straw and we blindly accepted them.
I have to remind myself that this is a journey. Nothing will be perfect right away. Instead of being frustrated I will just find solutions to the problems I encounter. I will go to Las Vegas again. Hopefullly each time there will be improvements though.
“All things are possible once enough human beings realize that everything is at stake.”
- Reusable Glass Straws Better for Environment (myessentia.com)
- Straw Wars (plasticisrubbish.wordpress.com)